How to Make a Lasting Impression with Garage Conversions?
One of the most common problems of living in a home in NY is the limited space. You might feel the need to add more living space to your home at some point or the other, and it is not always possible to remodel your entire house or move to a different one altogether. However, one of the most affordable options to add more space is garage conversion into a room. Learn how to convert a garage into a room easily
How to convert a garage into a room
Decide what kind of room you want to construct
When you do a garage remodel from scratch, it means that your home renovation project is completely customizable. Just make sure that you follow any building code requirements, and you can easily create the type of living space you need from your garage. Garage to room conversion saves you the hassle of having to build a completely independent living area. Here are some garage conversion ideas to help you get started:
- Family room
- Art studio
- In-law Suite
- Studio Apartment
The room you decide on will largely depend on the size of your garage. Typically you should keep these in mind while choosing the room you want to build:
- Do you have enough space in your garage to add the space you want?
- Do you need any specialized functionalities? For example, do you want to add a new electricity socket, plumbing for a bathroom, etc?
- Do you have to soundproof or waterproof your garage before you can implement the remodel?
- And most importantly, do you need any specialized permits to help your garage conversion comply with the building codes? If so, you should focus on getting these before you start tearing down your garage door.
Add value to your home with garage remodel
As long as you obey the codes and permits of your building, garage remodels will undoubtedly add value to your home. This value will depend on how seamless your garage to room conversion will be and what kind of room you will build. Usually, you will be able to reimburse up to 80 percent of the conversion cost in home value. However, you need to make sure that your garage remodel doesn’t get detrimental to your home value:
- If your area has limited street parking or covered parking, the lack of a garage will make parking more complicated. This might lower the costs of your home.
- If your garage to room conversion project doesn’t have the proper permits, it is as good as illegal. Even though obtaining permits and permissions might feel like a hassle, they will certainly help in increasing the value of your project in the long run.
- If your garage remodels removes any necessary storage, and your house is short on storage, the project will only escalate the problem. It can even lower the home value.
Keep your budget in mind during a garage to room conversion
On average, it can cost anywhere between $6,000 and $19,000 to convert your garage into a room in NYC. The total costs usually depend on how big your garage is, what kind of room you are building and how much professional assistance you require. It is entirely possible to do a garage remodel into a simple living space or a small bedroom for as little as $5,000. However, if you need plumbing for a kitchen or a bathroom, the total costs can rise to $25,000.
Frequently asked questions before starting a garage remodel
When should you consider converting your garage to a room? If you want to add brand new living space to your house without starting from scratch, you should consider converting your garage into a room.
Is a complete garage remodel the right choice for your home?
A garage remodel is the suitable option for your house, if:
- You can easily replace the garage door for your space. Do your remodel plans include a living space with a patio door or a different entrance? If not, you need to remember to use the new wall with your existing home exterior and install a new wall entirely.
- You have the budget to add cooling and heating. To make the garage remodel affordably, you need to check if your HVAC system supports an extra room. If so, you can expand your ventilation to cover your garage. However, if it doesn’t support an additional room, you need to update your system or buy an independent system to offer heating and cooling solutions to your garage. This can come out as additional costs, so make sure that you have the budget to cover it.
- Make sure the plumbing is easily accessible. If you want to add a small kitchen or bathroom to your garage conversion project, you need to contact a plumber and check if you can easily add plumbing. When you add plumbing lines, you need to keep the drainage of the house in mind.
Do you need a permit to convert your garage?
As you are changing how you will use the space of your garage, you might need to get new building permits. However, this depends mainly on where you live. An excellent place to start would be to contact your city’s Zoning Department and ask for a garage conversion permit. To provide a proposed floor plan for your permit, you may also have to work with an architect. Getting a permit will ensure that your garage remodel meets the local ordinances and builds codes for living spaces. Some building codes also prescribe the number of outlets, the height of the ceiling, the number of entrances and exits, and the minimum number of windows in space, among others. If you cannot meet some of these requirements, you might also have to apply for a variance based on the issue.
Garage remodel costs up to half of what you can expect when you add a new room altogether. You can also make use of some cost-efficient garage conversion ideas to make the process seamless. Although it is a big job, garage conversions can be very fulfilling when adding functional space to your home.